Hello friends! Sorry about the long lull between episodes. November was a doozy, and we had to go on unofficial hiatus just to cope. We’re back now, and ready to get this podcast back on its feet.
This episode is about Christopher Marlowe’s incredibly popular play, Doctor Faustus. If you’re in the mood to explore more of Marlowe’s plays, why not go into the back catalogue and listen to Episode 2, which was about Edward II?
- The ubiquity of the Faust myth and some of the other crucial iterations of that myth. For example: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Thomas Mann, and Charles Gounod. Or the classic Faustian myth: the 2001 movie Limitless starring Badley Cooper.
- A story from This American Life about how people would act if they have superpowers.
- The play’s protestant theology
- Breaking Marlowe news! Did he collaborate with Shakespeare on the Henry VI plays? Read more about it here.
- Everyone should definitely re-watch Shakespeare in Love and enjoy Tom Stoppard’s characterization of Marlowe.
Tune in next episode for Kyd’s The Spanish Tragedy!