Are you sick of current events in the United States, the UK, or wherever you are right now? Take a 40 minute break from reality with this episode. Bard Times podcast will whisk you away to an Early Modern vacation in a tropical paradise! Bodice-ripping thrills and swash-bucking adventure awaits you in this romance by John Fletcher.
(Full disclosure: this “paradise” is still chock-full of Islamophobia, cultural appropriation, and imperialist politics… so it really isn’t that different from real life in 2017.)
- Clare McManus’s exceptionally wonderful edition of this play (Arden series)
- This one scene from The Princess Bride, another classic from the romance genre.
- Do these characters have any psychological depth? Does it matter if they don’t?
- This play is obsessed with masculinity and honour.
- The politics (and sexiness) of religious conversion.